Tuesday, May 31, 2011

April & May Book list

April was a slow month for books in Lisa's House. Very slow.

The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje

Not recommended...The English Patient. It was only okay, which is actually better than most other Ondatje books I have read. This one made sense...wonder of wonders, miracle of miracles

May is looking better!
American Gods by Neil Gaiman (iBook)
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (iBook)
Haven by some guy? (iBook) Note to self: never name anything I make "Haven" as it is not a productive Google search!
A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon
When You Are Engulfed in Flames...a collection of essays by David Sedaris

Favourite: Neil Gaiman! By far...I can't wait to find some more of his. He writes a great story that just happens to be totally sci-fi! I love it!!

Least Favourite: Spot of Bother was too much like the Jonathan Franzen book I read last month. One old guy going crazy, with his disfuntional family not helping matters. Been there, done that. But his other book, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, is excellent...so...not sure what happened here. Also, the David Sedaris book was way less funny than I expected.

Recommend: American Gods, but it's very erotic in some instances, and the subject matter is super weird if you don't like sci-fi themes.

*****
I really love reading books on my iPad! All ths eBooks listed above are from the app that came with the iPad, but I find that it doesn't have as great a selection as I would have hoped. The Kindle app, on the other hand, has access to all the Kindle books on the Amazon site! So that's lots! I haven't bought anything through them yet, but I have found a couple of books that I'm interested in.

I have also been reading lots of Comic Books on my iPad, using the Dark Horse app I found. And I lucked out and caught "Free Digital Comic Book Day" so I picked up a whole whackload of issues for free! There are a couple that interested me enough that I might pay for the rest of the series, and some that don't seem worth it to me at this time. I have discovered that if it's too bright out, I can't read the comic books...they are too dark and the detail just doesn't come through. They are best to read in bed! Especially the spooky ones.

k. m shutting up now.

For my previous months' book lists, click on these links: January, February, March.

In terms of my 52 Books Goal this year, my total so far is: 17 (out of 21 weeks, give or take). That's not too shabby, if I do say so myself, considering I expect my weekly rate to skyrocket in the fall/winter!

Are you still keeping up with any of your "New Year's Goals"? Cause I'm barely hanging on!!

2 comments:

  1. Loving all of your posts lately! I can't keep up with making comments. 100% completely agree about "A Spot of Bother". At first I thought it was your JUne list and I was going to comment "don't bother"! Oh well, at least it was a short read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. New Year's Goals??? Huh?
    I guess that would be a "NO".

    ReplyDelete

While I don't individually reply to each comment, I want to say "Thanks for commenting!" If you have a specific question about a post, please send me an email!