Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Concrete Oasis

So, I went a little overboard with my plant purchases this year! And yet I still have leftover pots from last year that are going to remain empty, so maybe last year was crazier. I don't remember.

Anyhoo. I've been taking photos of the lovelies on my front step. I spend a lot of time out there, with the kids and with Corinne. I quite enjoy my little concrete oasis.

 Most of my plants are fairly simple ones (and therefore on the cheaper side!). I hate spending too much money on my containers because they are garbage once the snow comes and I have to re-do them all next spring. I also choose things based on size, coverage (height, draping) and, most importantly, COLOUR! Some of the ones up here are: marigolds (they smell so good), ornamental millet (those tall ones in the centre, baskets need height), pansies (in three different colours), Melapodium (aka "Million Gold") and Gazania (amazingly detailed orange blossoms!). It also helps if you mix the standard pansies and marigolds with some more exotic looking things. I loved my ornamental kale so much from last year's pots, I bought a different variety this year. I love the colours, texture and size of these funny little vegetables.
 Corinne has a giant planter that is overflowing with beautiful purple and yellow blooms right now! My favourite in the bunch are the fuschias hiding at the bottom. It amazes me that they go from this...
 to this...so beautiful! Such texture!! They almost look fake!
Lucas and I spend more time out front than in our backyard, I'd say! In the afternoon, we get the warm sun and at night we hang out with our buddies and chat (or run around like a crazy person...can you guess which of us does which!?)
 Our Favourite Front Step Activities:
Chalk drawing, bubble blowing, watermelon, Slurpees and ice cream eating, Star Wars playing, helping Thalia with her latest toy and watching her ride her bike, planting flowers and watering them and our grass, visiting.
I did buy a nice table today to use in the backyard (from IKEA). I'm hoping to invest in some great and comfy chairs as well. And then I will have a backyard oasis to go with the front! All of the plants I've put in so far this year are doing really well back there, which means that maybe my black thumb is disappearing! Hazaa! I'll snag some photos of them so you can see what I've done with shade perennials...ooh...ahhh....

3 comments:

  1. so cute! that purple flower is amazing!! I was reading up on apartment gardening yesterday..gonna give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm...miss lisa? what happened to Lucas???? HE IS SOOOO BIG. He looks so grown up in these photos! Aghh! I hate living so far away!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooo, so pretty! I have a friend you was in Edmonton th'other day and he said you have NICE WEATHER!!! Then he was babbling something about how high we are above sea level and...I stopped listening.

    ReplyDelete

While I don't individually reply to each comment, I want to say "Thanks for commenting!" If you have a specific question about a post, please send me an email!