Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Twisted Sketches DT - it's time...

time is simultaneous
funny story. I must have subconsciously remembered the "twist" of the sketch while I was working on it, because it made it on there without any actual thought about it!

I was flipping through my Watchmen novel for some inspiration, and I happened to read the passage where the blue guy and his girl friend are chatting on Mars. And the thing he said was awesome! And I wanted it for my title right away.

"time is simultaneous. an intricately structured jewel...the whole design visible in every facet"

at the last minute, after I had finished the layout, I checked my sheet to see what the twist was, because I totally forgot to incorporate it! Ack!! well...lucky me...
Supplies list
Ribbon is May Arts and Webster's Pages? Maybe. I stitched it on with my sewing machine.
Button is Jenni Bowlin
Sticker letters are Studio Calico
Tag is from a super cool store in Portland called Cargo. It's a vintage-inspired luggage tag.
The ticket is from Nadine, the red paint is spray paint, and the thread is from my sewing machine (IKEA-cheap)
 
The luggage tag opens to reveal a nice space for some journaling. But the words just won't come. I think the title says it all.
Special Techniques
This layout started as a scrap piece of paper, and evolved from there.
I was spray painting a stencil on another project, and had lots of paint left on the stencil (cause my paint can is giving me a hard time!). So I flipped it paint side down and started pressing it all over a sheet of kraft cardstock I had laying around. You can sort of see the negative image of the stencil in the picture below. I ran it over the edges as well, then let it dry.
I also wanted to get a little practice in with my sewing machine, so I started randomly turning the page and let it take on a life of its own.
Then when it came time to do the sketch, I already had a background started for me, and built the layout around it.
Photos taken in the photo booth at the Ace Hotel in Portland, Oregon.
September 25, 2010.
Lucas is 5 and Lisa is 30 and two days.

check out the main Twisted Sketches blog for the original sketch and to see what the other ladies did with. I think you will be pleasantly surprised!

later skater alligator

3 comments:

  1. Great LO, I love how you place your elements. It's very "Lisa".
    I LOVE Cargo in Portland. We should tell them to open one here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This layout totally rocks! Very artsy and unique! Great interpretation of the sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME take on this week's sketch. I love the sewing and the paint. Fabulous details too.

    ReplyDelete

While I don't individually reply to each comment, I want to say "Thanks for commenting!" If you have a specific question about a post, please send me an email!