Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Holding Space

In 2020 I want to feel space.

One of the ways I am exploring this feelings goal is by learning to hold space for others. And creating moments that enable me to do that.

Holding space means to make it about someone else.

Art Night is one of those moments. And my Galentine's Brunch is another of those moments. Those invites went out this morning and my anxiety is ping-ping-pinging! But the responses so far have been excited and generous. And I can't wait to welcome these ladies in to my home and feed them (vegan) cheese!

In looking for Belonging I am creating my own. I feel so privileged to be able to pursue this and craft a space (both literally and figuratively) that is welcoming to others.

In order to better explore this goal, I started doing some reading on "holding space" and wow. It is a WHOLE THING!

The term "holding space" traditionally refers to the work done by spiritual coaches, nurses, therapists, support givers, facilitators, etc. It means supporting someone with your complete self, giving up control of the outcome, and listening without judgement. It's usually done for folks experiencing loss, grief, trauma, pain.

Holding space is something that I do on the Sexual Assault Centre of Edmonton's Crisis and Information Line. (And I didn't even realize it until I started doing my reading...). That's holding space for BIG things, and I consider it a sacred task.

But I also want to open up the concept of holding space in my day-to-day connections with people. I want to create space for folks to be creative without judgement, advice, or ego. I want to create space for women to meet other women, and have whole-hearted conversations.

And I want to see where all of this takes me in the future. Holding space is a sacred skill, one that I want to practice and improve upon. It's not flashy or glamorous, but it feels good and whole.

What a journey to be on with y'all!


FURTHER READING
I hosted my first Galentine's Brunch in 2019, and posted some thoughts and photos here.

And here are some of the lovely articles I read while researching this post (and this goal):
The Sweetness of Holding Space for Another by Lynn Hauka (HuffPost)
What it Means to Hold Space for Someone by Heather Plett (Uplift)
11 Things that will help you hold space for someone by Reaca Pearl (Good Therapy)

xo
Lis

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I don't individually reply to each comment, I want to say "Thanks for commenting!" If you have a specific question about a post, please send me an email!