Monday, February 17, 2020

One Dress, One Week

This all started with one of those"this time last year" summaries in my Google photos dashboard. The photo is me looking cute in a black t-shirt dress and red jacket that I hadn't worn in forever. So I went looking through the basement clothing racks to see if I could resurrect the look - and yes! The dress hadn't quite made it to the donate pile yet!

Monday morning came, and this cute outfit came back. And it was then that I remembered an old favourite activity - wear the same dress every day for a whole week.

So...here was last week.


FEEL CUTE, FEEL ACTIVATED, FEEL SPACE

My Dudes. Sometimes I cannot even do simple things without my Guiding Word jumping up and smacking me in the face. I mean, this is a free dress that I got while volunteering at a clothing swap. And here we are tying it back to my fricken goals for the year. Hot. Damn. Y'all thought you were getting a fashion post!

I feel cute, cause I'm cute. I feel activated because I'm finally in a position where I am comfortable with my tiny closet filled with secondhand pieces. And I feel space because having a small wardrobe means less time getting dressed, less rushing in the mornings.

BUT I ALSO FEEL SO OVER THIS DRESS

Goals aren't the only thing getting an examination with this dress. I only made it five days with this challenge, because I realized that I am over this dress. I am over the saggy tights. And always having to tug on the bottom of the dress to cover my bum when I stand up or get out of the car. I love the monochrome, but I'm not married to black. This dress is going in the donate bin and the tights in the garbage. I'm over it. I learned my lesson and now I can move on and through.

And I've already started planning how to fill this "hole" in my closet. While understanding that the hole is imaginary and I definitely will not be walking around naked because I have other clothes "Karen" get off my back!

CLOSET HOLES ARE IMAGINARY

I am always suspicious of bloggers and instagrammers who've given themselves the "slow fashion" epithet justifying purchase after purchase by using the phrase "I'm just filling a hole." Here's the secret.

The hole is imaginary. It's made up.

Y'all have SO MANY CLOTHES don't try and bullshit me with the whole "while I do have a pair of brown heeled booties I did up a spreadsheet to prove that I needed a pair of fur-lined brown heeled booties to FILL A HOLE", mmkay? Please. This ain't my first sustainable wardrobe rodeo.

For me it's less about a self-made hole, and more about refining & reducing my closet, making MORE out of less. And being truly intentional and reflective about my choices.

This includes considering how long the garment will last, and how many times I will be able to wear it.

This includes considering how the garment was made and by who. Like, were they paid a living wage? Because a $2 t-shirt means slave labour, don't @ me.

This includes considering what the garment is made of. Cotton is terrible for pesticide and water use, but organic cotton is also terrible. Linen is yay. Microplastics are boooooo.

This includes considering the cost, and if I can afford it, or if I can make due without.

And this is just the start of the conversation.

My muscle memory still has me buying without thinking twice sometimes. It's a hard habit to break. Weeks like this help. Posts and chats like this help. Unsubscribing from all the shopping newsletters help. Lists help.



THE FIRST RULE OF A SUSTAINABLE WARDROBE

I thought I would end with a great tip on starting to build a sustainable, ethical, "slow", minimal wardrobe.

1) Stop buying so much shit.

That's it, that's the tip. You're welcome.

Now I'm going to be over here over thinking my purchase of a red linen jumpsuit to match my favourite sneakers. Y'know. To fill that hole or whatever.

FURTHER READING

I most recently wrote about Values-based Budgeting here
Gotta love a 10x10 Challenge
This is one of my favourite fashion posts ever
I've been doing this type of challenge for ages: "One Dress Five Ways"
Plato's Closet Strathcona is a great local consignment store
My 2020 Guiding Word (because (most) everything link back to the foundation)

xo
Lis

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I don't individually reply to each comment, I want to say "Thanks for commenting!" If you have a specific question about a post, please send me an email!