Sunday, January 26, 2020

Guiding Word of 2020 - Belonging

The story behind choosing my 2020 Word is a bit NSFW (essentially I was reading IG on the toilet), but it all started with this image.

It might have been the satisfying BM, but I'm pretty sure it was actually a swelling of emotions that brought a tear to my eye when I read Morgan Harper Nichols thoughts. I try not to overthink my words. They come to me, and it's good. There is always something to learn from them.

(I didn't learn until after I selected my word that Brene Brown talks a lot about "belonging". It remains to be seen if I will use any of her teachings this year...)



HOW I DOCUMENT MY WORD
After 20+ years of scrapbooking, making albums, and documenting life, I can finally say that I know what I need to do to have success on a project like this:

  • Simplicity
  • A Repeatable Formula
  • Everything At Hand

At the end of 2018 I made the decision to include more photos in my 2019 album, and by the end of last year I was ready to add more art. This is a fluid process folks, that I'm sure will keep changing as I do.

Some things stayed the same between 2019 and 2020. I'm still relying heavily on sticky notes to keep track of what photos go where. And I really appreciate the pre-printed cards for journaling, weekly check-ins, art...whatever I feel like. One goes in each weekly "spread" so I remember to do something there. But if I forget I move on. No hard feelings.


WHERE DO I START?
This year I started by setting four feelings goals. I wrote (& stamped) them on 4x6 sheets of cardstock, and will write my corresponding actions (what I will do to feel that way) once they're "finalized". Knowing that I can always change my mind and cut out something that's not working for me. My life, my project, my rules.




These feelings didn't jump out at me right away. Other than the cute one! But now that they're inked in black and I've had a chance to sit with them, I'm super confident in my selections. I  have some goals that don't fall into one of the feelings categories (like home stuff and my reading goal). Those will be documented in other ways.

This work forms the foundation of my year and of my album. So far it's very empty! But it will slowly fill up over the year with memories, thoughts, art...lots of goodies.


And that's it so far! As with the start of every year when I have chosen a word, I am excited to see what 2020 has in store for me! I've got some big plans, and Belonging is a big part of those plans. I'll keep you posted here and on IG with the good word.


FURTHER READING
You will find my previous posts on choosing a guiding word for the year filed under One Little Word. Last year my word was CURRENT, and boy did it take me for a ride.

Morgan Harper Nichols is on Instagram here and is definitely worth a follow.

xo, Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I don't individually reply to each comment, I want to say "Thanks for commenting!" If you have a specific question about a post, please send me an email!