Thursday, January 31, 2019

Jasper in January


One of my January Goals was to "Feel Joy and to Feel Challenged and go on a winter (ski) adventure in Jasper". In fact, it's been a long dream to go to "Jasper in January" with my little family, and this past month we finally did it!

I started to write out a big long post about the planning, and all the little (mundane) details, but I think I'm going to keep it short and sweet, and let the photos do most of the talking.

We spent as many hours as we could at Marmot Basin, arriving shortly after the hill opened for the day, and sliding off to our car just before the lifts closed. It was so challenging, and magnificent. I was stressed and anxious for about a minute, and then I was just so dang full of JOY for the rest of the day.


Lucas had a few tumbles, but he is not afraid, and picked himself right back up and kept going. I was so proud of him, to see how confident he was and especially when he told us how happy he felt to be on this big adventure together.


My anxiety hit a major peak right when it came time to put my skis on for the first time and go from the parking lot to the bottom of the hill. My whole blooded felt flooded with too many emotions I couldn't properly understand or manage. But I had my calm guys with me, and to say I was 100% pumped when I made it down the first run in one piece is an understatement.


Something that wasn't part of the goal, but a major dream come true nonetheless, was skating on Pyramid Lake. This lake forms a huge part of my memory, but we usually are here in the summer. To actually get to skate on it in the winter!! FAVOURITE MEMORY ALERT! You could not have wiped the giant goofy grin off of my face. 


I mean, look at how beautiful it is here! We are so (so so so so) lucky to live with this in our backyard and to be able to easily access it. I cannot even begin to express my gratitude that this is what my life looks like some days.


Dude is a much more confident (and happy) skier than skater, but he tried and that's what counts for me.


We had the best time and I can't wait to go back!

Winter Adventures in Jasper National Park from Lisa Kercher on Vimeo.

FURTHER READING
My family has been traveling to Jasper National Park since before I was born. And I have been blogging about Jasper for many years as well. All of my Jasper-related posts can be found here.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I don't individually reply to each comment, I want to say "Thanks for commenting!" If you have a specific question about a post, please send me an email!