Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Tuesday Link List


It's the 40 year anniversary of Jonestown, so I thought I would share some links here about a historical event that is super fascinating to me, and whose effects are still being felt by many individuals and communities.

A note on Trigger Warnings. The articles I link to don't have any graphic images or footage from the event or aftermath, but please be aware that many sites have images of dead bodies, including children, and protect/prepare yourself accordingly. All contain descriptions of violence.

White Night: 40 Years after Jonestown, well-intentioned white women are still a menace by Laura Elizabeth Woollett on Bitch Media

Jonestown victims have a lesson to teach us, so I listened by Jamilah King on Mother Jones

Surviving Jonestown by Jackie Speier on Primary Source

Alternative Considerations of Jonestown & People's Temple

FURTHER READING
If you are looking for more on Jonestown, I found some other resources. I have not personally read any of these yet.
Seductive Poison by Deborah Layton (memoir)
The Road to Jonestown by Jeff Guinn
White Nights, Black Paradise by Sikivu Hutchinson

A Sympathetic History of Jonestown: The Moore Family Involvement in Peoples Temple by Rebecca Moore

Today is also the Trans Day of Remembrance. I hope to share some relevant links next week...I need a special calendar to keep up with all of these important dates!

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I don't individually reply to each comment, I want to say "Thanks for commenting!" If you have a specific question about a post, please send me an email!