Monday, November 12, 2018

Tell a Story - Volunteer


Lucas & I have been volunteering with the Edmonton Humane Society for a couple of months now. We signed up as part of the "Parent & Me" program, so I get to be the responsible adult, but he has to complete the four hours per month by my side.

I signed us up in March, and we didn't get the nod to start volunteering until August, with our first shifts happening in September. I think this was due to a number of factors. We had to take care of a few things on our end - shelter tour, online "interview", training - and were continually waiting for approval from the EHS before moving on to the next step. They have a large volunteer base and limited staff to manage us.

All of our training was completed online, with videos modules and written information, and tests at the end of each. Depending on where you want to volunteer in the shelter, you have to take different training. Some positions don't require any extra training, and they are always looking for folks to help do dishes and laundry! We took the Cat Socialization training, as this was the main reason I wanted to get involved - to pet cats!

And so we pet cats.

MY DUDES! We get to spend at least four hours a month petting cats and we don't have to clean a litter box or anything!!

HOW WE VOLUNTEER
There are two main areas in the shelter. The adoption areas are where members of the public can come and interact with the animals. The back wards are where the animals live before they have been cleared for adoption. These animals are often awaiting surgery (spay/neuter primarily) or an intake exam. Many of them are strays, and there are always a lot of kittens.

We like to spend our time in the back wards, especially during public shelter hours. The cats back there don't get to socialize with people as much as the ones out front, and it's less busy, so we can take our time with each cat.

While not every cat loves neck scritches, most of them do. Some want pets or cuddles, and some just need a companion while they eat. We fall in love with the first cat, and then the second, and then the third, and so on until our shift is over. Lucas' favourites are the kittens, and I have a soft spot in my heart for the scrawny strays, and big adult cats.

CAT LOVE
He always asks to finish off in the Kitty room, and at our last shift, he told me that he wanted all of the cats we played with that night. I was especially fond of the orange and white stray who kept snuggling in my hair. That's heart-melting stuff right there.

I know I have a cat-lover on my hands - Lucas has always loved cats - but I'm hoping I've got a lifetime volunteer on my hands too.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I don't individually reply to each comment, I want to say "Thanks for commenting!" If you have a specific question about a post, please send me an email!