Friday, January 08, 2016

I Quit Facebook


Further to this post from a couple of weeks back, I have decided to quit Facebook. I can't delete my account just yet as there are still connections I would like to maintain, but I have deleted the app from my phone, significantly altered my email notifications, and stopped just randomly checking it throughout the day (over and over and over again...).

Internal Monologue: WTF is with sending me an email every time a "Friend" posts a photo, or changes their status, or comments on someone else's post, ad nauseum. Get it together Facebook. It's like you are becoming as desperate as your users to show how popular you are.

This time of year is a great time to evaluate the things you spend your time and energy, and make sure you are focusing on activities/people that bring you joy, challenge you, excite you, inspire you.

And to shed the weight that is pulling you down.

Facebook was really pulling me down. My attitude, my mental well-being, all that. I don't need to get constant reassurance that my family is full of racist, sexist, xenophobes thanks. That made for an awkward family Christmas get together that I don't need to repeat any time soon.

One of my goals this year is to spend more time focusing on my mental health, and ways I can make the good spells last longer. Or at the very least, cultivate less voracious bad spells. Meditation is on that list. So is better aligning my positive thoughts and desires for my life with how I am actually living my life. And today that means quitting Facebook.

I know that everyone is gonna start busting me for "Facebook is what you make it" and "don't read what you don't want to read" and blah blah blah. But I cannot control the things that come across my feed. I control the people I am friends with yes, and if I see their posts in my feed, and I can control how often I am on there, but Facebook headlines are specifically designed to make you react to them and then click. And I just don't want to deal with that anymore.

FYI it feels so damn good to be away from that place.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I don't individually reply to each comment, I want to say "Thanks for commenting!" If you have a specific question about a post, please send me an email!