Thursday, May 22, 2014

Gluten Free GF

I was listening to CBC Radio at BFF's house the other morning, and they were talking about the recent study that was done that "debunks" the benefits of the gluten free lifestyle for those not suffering from a gluten intolerant disorder. The radio program played some clips from a recent Jimmy Kimmel show during which he asked random people on the street if they a) follow a gluten free life and if yes, b) know what gluten is. (I'm sure you can see where this is going...) No one that was featured on the program knew a stitch about gluten. Ha ha heh heh...sigh.

I don't have Chrohn's and I am not a celiac. If I were to tell you that I was, and then tell you that I'm "gluten free", you would be sympathetic. If I told you I was cutting back on carbs, you might make fun of me for a moment, and then you would probably agree that maybe eating a lot of white bread isn't particularly good for you and nod in agreement. But when I use the "gluten free" buzzword, I get made fun of, and laughed at, and asked more questions about my "diet" and asked if I'm a vegan too. It's mostly annoying. Scratch that. It's always annoying.

I refuse to believe that I have somehow been "brainwashed" by the "gluten free" proselytizers and that somehow my "symptoms" are psychosomatic. That means "all in my head." Big Gluten? THAT'S NOT A THING!

Wanna hear something I think is scarier? I think we have been brainwashed to believe that over-processed, crap food that we put in our body over and over and over again is actually good for us because it has been labelled as "whole grain". I think that's the buzzword. That study that was done way back in the 70s (I think...I don't have it in front of me or anything) that says whole grains are REALLY GREAT for you, and that meat and eggs are super bad because of CHOLESTEROL and blah-de-blah has also been proven to be mostly a load of horseshit. Did you know that? Scientists still don't actually know how cholesterol works and which - if any - is "good" or "bad". Eggs are full of vitamins and good stuff! And as long as you're not eating bottom-of-the-barrel meat, you're probably doing a-okay. And that the wheat we eat today looks nothing like the wheat we were eating even a generation ago, but no one has done a study on that to see how our bodies are reacting to it because it's still called "wheat" so it's probably okay right? I could go on and on and on here, but the point I am trying to make is...HORSE SHIT!

How do you tell the horse shit from the good info when all your news comes from "entertainment news" programs? Sigh...

I eat stuff that makes me feel GREAT! That gives me energy, and helps me move my body. I try not to eat stuff that makes me feel like SHIT, and makes me fart, or makes me itchy (dairy), or makes me crave more, or makes me lethargic, or puts my stomach in knots for hours. Sometimes I eat pizza because it is SO GODDAMN DELICIOUS and nary a week goes by that I don't finish off a 6-pack of PBR. But that is my choice. Cause I love delicious food. And I am not going to apologize for "cheating on my diet"...blargh! That's not even a thing!!!

I am mostly just SICK AND TIRED of celebrities, or celebrity chefs, or radio scientists, or late night talk show hosts telling me what to eat or what not to eat, or making fun of people who have chosen a diet that might be a fad today, debunked tomorrow, then endorsed by one of the above next summer.

I am NOT sick and tired of the people out there who are just trying to get more people to THINK about what they put into their bodies! Whether they be celebrities, cookbook writers, moms at their dayhome, or dads at a soccer game. Or over-posters on Facebook (k...maybe not them ;) All this stuff that we hear in the news, or on late night TV is just information. You have to decide if and how you use that information for yourself! And you have NO RIGHT to judge or ridicule someone for a decision they made based on information they were given, no matter the source.

Do I want everyone to eat healthier, and live better lives? You bet! Am I going to try and educate the haters who make fun of me when I tell them I eat "gluten free"? Of course! Am I going to judge those haters for their food choices? Maybe a little, but ultimately it doesn't matter. I think that we as a food-eating community of people (re: everybody) have to fight for better food, better choices, and better information on which to base those choices. And I think that's really sad.

EAT REAL FOOD PEOPLE!

Rant complete.
Lisa


1 comment:

While I don't individually reply to each comment, I want to say "Thanks for commenting!" If you have a specific question about a post, please send me an email!