Tuesday, September 03, 2013

The Year So Far

I thought I would write up a little "retrospective" on my goals and my accomplishments so far. See how far I have come, and where I still want to go.

I made FOUR BIG GOALS at the beginning of the year. I am trying to use them to guide my goal-setting each month, and as a "big picture" for what I want my year to look like. Learning new things, finding my passion, being more comfortable in my home & in my creative space, these are the things I really wanted to focus on.

And while I only took one class right at the beginning of the year, and didn't get much out of it, I have tried to learn new things on my own time. In April I pushed myself creatively with some homemade birthday presents, I started doodling in my journal and posting my creations to Instagram, I am taking part in The August Break and I signed up for 30 Days of Lists for September. I learned that an online, self-paced course isn't really my thing. I would like to sign up for a course or class in the fall, where the teaching is "in person." We'll see how that goes!

I also started making some "mini goals" for myself every month. These were more like to-do lists, filled with fun, interesting, and special items I wanted to tackle each month.

February: clothes & renos             March                 April                    May
June                   July                 August

Some months (May...for example) were definitely more successful than others! But I'm not too worried about all of that. I enjoy making these lists for myself, and seeing where my month takes me. Even if it is in a totally different direction from where I thought it would!

My Summer Manifesto is something I have been working towards these past couple of months, and will see it into September. This is a big long list of fun summer activities I want to try this year! I will update how I did on September 30th.

My word of the year is BRAVE. It took a lot of bravery to even say it out loud, and put it on the blog. But I got it out there, and boy howdy was this ever the right word for me!

One of my biggest BRAVE things to-date was leaving my job downtown for something completely different. It was a huge step for me, but one that I don't think was risky. I wanted a change and a challenge. There is always an element of the unknown when you leave the security and familiarity of a job - even one you hate - for something in which you have no experience. But everyday I recognize that it was the right choice!

My other big brave item is ongoing and completely personal. I have not wanted to share it openly on the blog because I'm still working through things, and it will take a long time before I am comfortable putting it out there in the world. But everyday I am thinking brave thoughts...I have never believed in a word so much as I have this past month.

And that is that! What an amazing year it has been so far! September is my favourite month, and I am hoping we get a beautiful Indian Summer before the leaves start to change and Autumn blows in. And then I can enjoy all the activities that come with fall! Raking, jumping in leaves, pulling out my sweaters and tights....but I'm getting ahead of myself.

I think an important aspect of setting goals is looking back at your achievements. Don't focus on what went wrong, or what didn't get accomplished or what you missed out on. Instead, look at all the amazing times and adventures and learning opportunities you took advantage of and how setting simple goals and putting them out there in the world made your life a little bit rosier!

Geeze man. Mushy much...

I hope everyone had a great holiday Monday, and that not too many tears were shed today on the first day back to school!

Did you set any goals at the start of the year? And how has that been going for you...?!

later loves

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I don't individually reply to each comment, I want to say "Thanks for commenting!" If you have a specific question about a post, please send me an email!