Tuesday, August 21, 2012

I'm a Folkie At Heart

I was lucky enough to score a pair of tickets to Folk Fest's Sunday show. Thank goodness for happy accidents! And I couldn't think of a better person to spend the day with than my BFF.
Edmonton skyline and some mad pretty clouds. Photo taken in the beer gardens.
It was so hot out all day. There was a huge line up at the water taps for bottle refilling. And loads of people trying to stake out whatever shade they could find. My hair promptly went all crazy and smushed to my head, but that's why I wear a hat!

BFF + Me. We like hats.

So, I am thinking more and more that Dan & I are the same person. He and I both suffer from indecision based on trying to be the diplomat. So there was a lot of this type of conversation going on during the day:

"Which stage do you want to check out?"

"It doesn't matter to me, whichever one you like."

"Well it doesn't matter to me either."

"Should we head over to Stage 5 or 4?"

"Either one. They both look good."

We both chose a crappy stage at one point and actually made a real decision to leave, followed by a blissful half hour spent in the beer gardens!
Main Stage - Evening Performance

Highlights of the Day:
1. "Who's Side Are You On?" Stage 5. Arrested Development, Emmanuel Jal, Rory Cochrane & Rodney Dowell. When I read the names of the artists at the stage, and saw how completely diverse they are, I thought it would be completely weird and not cohesive at all. But it was the best stage all day by far for Dan & I. Lots of energy. Lots of emotion and depth and I was just blown away! We both were, actually, and wished that we had headed over there sooner and caught the whole thing.
2. Meeting my newest nephew for the first time! Griffin is so adorable!
3. Running into Marilyn, who I haven't seen in a year or so, and who was sitting immediately behind our group's other tarp. Of course she was...
4. Dinner! Oh man. I wish I could remember the name of the Thai place, but it was stupidly awesome. Green curry, coconut rice, pad thai. I even convinced Dan to try it. Right...like that involved a lot of arm twisting!
5. Hanging out with Dan all day. Awww...

I didn't get near enough photos cause my battery was on the brink of death. But these will have to do.

Oh. And the memories. Can't forget those!

I am seriously considering volunteering at next year's Festival. Either that, or actually remembering to buy tickets before they are ridiculously ridiculously sold out! Y'know. In 6 minutes or so...

Also, best friend times are the best!

later loves

2 comments:

  1. Last year I dedicated my entire weekend to Folk Fest....and was so in love with the entire experience that by the end of the weekend I had plans already for this year....and then.....FAMILY REUNION.

    The reunion was fun, but it was less awesome than Folk Fest would've been! So. Much. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:08 am

    Aw man! I'm so jealous. I wanted to go, but Ian is so not into it. His parents made him go every year for YEARS, so now he's so totally over the Folk Fest. Boo! His parents were there this year, though. I haven't heard yet whether they loved it or not, but I assume it was fantastic.

    Also, you're coming here in October!! Email me the deets. So exciting! *Beer time. Beer time.* (said in a obnoxious sing-songy voice!!)

    ReplyDelete

While I don't individually reply to each comment, I want to say "Thanks for commenting!" If you have a specific question about a post, please send me an email!