Thursday, May 31, 2012

May Book List

I took it (very) easy this month with books. I am slowly (very slowly) making it through The Crossing, but I keep having to return it to the library!

Arcadian Adventures with the Idle Rich by Stephen Leacock (borrowed from Dan)
American Gods by Neil Gaiman (iBook, re-read)
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
Blindness by Jose Saramago (library)
The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas Adams


Recommended: Still love American Gods. Still recommend it, and anything else by Neil Gaiman.


I really enjoyed the first two books in the trilogy of five Hitchhiker books. Good, light, sci-fi. I might just find me the movie to watch...it gets bonus points for starring Martin Freeman (on a side note, I finished the latest series of Sherlock, and love love loved it!)


Meh: This latest Stephen Leacock got old quick. I get it. You think rich people are ludricrous. Thanks for the update. Now can we move on to some other jokes?


I was so ready to love Blindness. The premise is excellent, the presentation unique. But I just couldn't get into it. I think something (a lot of things) were lost in translation. Time felt out of joint, but not on purpose. The characters seemed really fake sometimes. And I totally didn't pick up on the similarities to 1984 and other dystopian works. I just didn't get it. I can tell that this is a wonderful book, but not for me.




At the beginning of the month I went and spent a bunch of money at Chapters. There is a theme to all the stuff I bought, which will not be immediately apparent to anyone else. So maybe this is a private joke...anyhoo...I am looking forward to some non-fiction next month (Margaret Atwood's Payback & No Logo by Naomi Klein), as well as finishing off the Hitchhiker series and starting in on the Arthur C. Clarke's series of Space Odyssey books.


later loves

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I don't individually reply to each comment, I want to say "Thanks for commenting!" If you have a specific question about a post, please send me an email!