Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Silver Screen

I have always loved old movies. Always.

The planets have aligned just perfectly lately, and all these seemingly disparate factors have come together (I got a library card and I found someone to discuss old movies with!), and I am watching old movies again!

There is something so romantic and nostalgic and wonderful about old movies. So much attention was paid to styling and atmosphere. And the way they talk! And everybody's smoking!

Currently...
Sherlock Holmes
I like my modern Holmes better, but this one was good too!



Scarlet Street
I love Edward G. Robinson. Lots of drama in this one, with a spectacular femme fatale.

A Fistful of Dollars
With a very handsome Clint Eastwood. I was not expecting to like this movie as much as I did. I rented it through iTunes, and watched it on my iPad the other night (while gesso journaling). It was pretty awesome, and I am totally going to rent the others in the trilogy!

North by Northwest
My favourite out of the bunch. With Cary Grant and his awkward hands. And a Mount Rushmore chase scene. The cinematographer in that movie was a genius! The shot below is so spectacular.

The infamous crop duster scene is in this movie as well. I think I am going to see what other Hitchcock movies the library has. If I can't find any there I know somebody who might have some I could borrow!


I also borrowed one by Akira Kurosawa. He is an amazing Japanese director. I've only seen a couple of his movies, but I really enjoyed them! And I love subtitles. And I love samurais!

I have been loving everything lately! Like, nothing can go wrong and everything has a silver lining, and everything is coming up roses and whatnot!

What a feeling!

I can trace it back to one thing (or another), and it's quite wonderful! What a change...

later loves

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I don't individually reply to each comment, I want to say "Thanks for commenting!" If you have a specific question about a post, please send me an email!