Monday, September 12, 2011

Photography-Learning

Way back in August, shortly after my Mom's actual birthday - for which we were out of town - I gave her a belated present of a fall photography workshop. We finally got to attend this weekend, out at the Devonian Botanic Gardens. I learned a lot about my camera - and it's hefty limitations and strengths - and had a great time hanging out with Mother.

The greenhouses - especially the one full of cacti - made it so easy to practice all those macro settings and mess around with depth of field and stuff.
 
 

They also have a butterfly garden, which is still full of butterflies at this time of year, not that you could get any pictures of them!

The course was straight-forward, informative and the instructor was very awesome! I totally recommend this to anyone who wants to learn more about their camera and about composition. It's fairly "basic" and Nathan covered a lot of stuff that I already knew, but it was still well worth it. Plus, being able to take photos immediately in the gardens was a nice treat to the alternative...homework!

Mother & I haven't been to the gardens since I was a wee one. We spent a lot of time in the Japanese garden, which was just being built when we last came! (This is my example of creating dimension in an image with a foreground, middleground and background.)

Mother's favourite part of the course was learning how to blur a waterfall. My blurs were less successful cause my camera just can't handle it...but I still got a neat shot. If you can believe it, this was a very dark corner of the stream and the day was overcast and rainy!

On the drive out there Saturday morning, Mom & I were commenting that we had only seen a handful of trees starting to turn (there were a few on the way out), and we figured that any day now with one good cold snap, things would change...
I think Fall is almost here people. Pull out the scarves and tights! Get those furnaces cleaned and inspected. And those camera batteries charged!


Some relevant links:
Devonian Gardens Education
Nathan Burge - Instructor

5 comments:

  1. The pictures are great, the one of the Japanese garden is Beautiful!! I would love to take a workshop on my camera... I hate instructions so sadly I have never read mine. Maybe I ought to start there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love! So jealous! I'm totally asking for this for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pic of the Japanese garden - that's one I would frame.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your photos Lisa! I've never taken a photo class but can see the benefits. I'm just waiting for the day I get a better camera!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky you and your Mom! I lurve the picutre of the trees especially.

    ReplyDelete

While I don't individually reply to each comment, I want to say "Thanks for commenting!" If you have a specific question about a post, please send me an email!