Friday, September 30, 2011

Bestest Book Month EVAH!?

I got to read two Jasper Fforde books that are new new new to me! And a story that I think I will love for the rest of my life.

Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde
The Fourth Bear by Jasper Fforde
Close Range (including Brokeback Mountain) by Annie Proulx (Kindle app)
The Last Werewolf by Glen Duncan (Kindle App)
Persuasion by Jane Austen
Tooth & Nail by Craig Dilouie (Kindle App) > great end-of-world Zombie-style book!


Recommended: Hands down, without a doubt, Brokeback Mountain. I watched the movie this month and it kind of infected my brain and I had to get my hands on the book. I have never had a story affect me like this. It's been weeks since I read it, but I can't get it out of my head. I bought the book containing the short story (Close Range) and have read the rest in the collection. Annie Proulx is an amazingly gifted story teller. She has inspired me to get some of my random thoughts down on paper. While my stuff is mostly crap, it is so satisfying to actually write it down. Read this story...you won't regret it.

Re-Read: I could re-read Persuasion every couple of months until forever. It's just that good.

Not Recommended: Oh my goodness, do not read The Last Werewolf. It was so bad. Why did I buy it? He put more effort into rehashing the same questions about the meaning of life (or the lack thereof), was obsessed with sex, and then the book just ended. I saw it coming a mile away, and yet I also hoped he would redeem himself. Didn't happen. Another book where the subject matter is stellar but the reality just didn't live up to it. Thank goodness the rest of the books I read this month were good, or else this might have been the worst book month evah. Yikes!

I spent a tonne of time on Amazon.com this month looking for new books, and downloading "samples" to my iPad through the Kindle app. This is actual very handy, when available. I have found some books I want to read that are not available to download, so I might actually be making that trip to the library this month. I know I've only been talking about it forever and a day, but with all the weird "free time" I find myself wasting, I would love to be able to spend some of it at the library.



No comments:

Post a Comment

While I don't individually reply to each comment, I want to say "Thanks for commenting!" If you have a specific question about a post, please send me an email!