Wednesday, August 31, 2011

August Book List

Harry Potter & the Philosopher's Stone, Chamber of Secrets, Prisoner of Azkaban, Goblet of Fire, Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling
The Edible Woman by Margaret Atwood
The Half Made World by Felix Gilman

Recommended: The Harry Potter books! As soon as I got home from watching 7.2 in theatre, I pulled out the book, finished it, then grabbed book number one and kept going.
Disappointed with: The Edible Woman. I guess I got used to her dystopic books, and this commentary on out consumer culture just didn't strike a chord with me.
Not recommended: Felix Gilman. There were points in it that were so frustrating. The premise of the book was genius, truly. But I found the potential was not realized. I was not in awe of the "gods" portrayed, I did not feel anything for the characters, and it was one of the books that kind of just ended. No bang, no glory, just a whimper.

That's six books this month, as I am counting re-reads, and I have definitely read all the Harry Potter books a bunch of times!

These were all real books this month, no e-books. I was at Indigo a couple of times to buy gifts for Lucas & for the goodie bags at his party, and while there I can't help but look for myself. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be re-reading either of the non-Harry Potter books ever again, so it was kind of a waste (time, money, and space).

Next month will be a busy one for us, but I'm hoping I get some reading in. Maybe I'll go back through my bookcase and re-read some other gems! I try to keep only the books that I really love, as I am limited in the amount of bookshelf space I have in the house. I have one little bookshelf that is filled to the brim. It's deep enough that I can put two rows of books on every shelf!

I sorted through it on Sunday afternoon, and in amongst the dust I found some books I haven't read yet!

There were also a number of books in there that I don't want anymore. If you see any titles in there that you would like, drop me a line and we'll set up some sort of neutral meeting point complete the transaction. I would also be up for a trade: your unwanted for one of mine. Let me know...


1 comment:

  1. I once discovered a Chapters gift card in a book on the shelf - it was 2 years old! Good thing they don't have an expiry date.

    ReplyDelete

While I don't individually reply to each comment, I want to say "Thanks for commenting!" If you have a specific question about a post, please send me an email!