Friday, January 14, 2011

Friday DIY...kind of a lazy one

Finally, at the end of day, I am here!

I have seen a lot of this kit in the blogging universe lately. It is supposed to be a way to simplify scrapbooking, and documenting your life.

Well, since I am all about do-it-myself, I thought if Becky can do it and sell it to millions, then I can do it using crap I have on hand all by myself. And I think this lady thought the same, so I knew it wasn't impossible!

The last time my step-dad was in the States (just before Christmas), he was taking shopping requests. I only had one: these 3.5x5 photo pages from the Container Store. It costs an arm, a leg and your first born to ship to Canada, but I really am in love with these darn things. He got me two packs of ten, which I thought was going to last me forever. Until I had this brilliant idea, that is.

I print 40% of my photos this size anyways. The rest are wallet size. They fit on a small scrapbook layout better. I've been wanting to scrapbook smarter/less since I made my list of goals last year. But I never could find a system I liked. Until now.

I started a Word file and made the appropriate margin adjustments. I printed off some photos and then wrote a little blurb about them in the Word file. Nothing spectacularly ground-breaking or anything. Just random thoughts and memories about the event. Then I printed out the journaling (on regular paper, which I'm going to have to change). Then I put the photos and corresponding journaling in the photo protectors and then put those in my album (aka crappy, used binder) for the year.
new scrapbooking style  new scrapbooking style

Voila.

I still have to work out some kinks, and while Word isn't the best thing to use for this, Paint is even worse and those are my only choices (right now). I might "scrapbook" the little journaling bits - add some rub ons or nice paper - and I really can't stand that font now that I see it printed. But for the most part, this is going to work!

Yippee!
*****

Some of the reasons listed on Becky's site encouraging this way of scrapbooking are hilarious to read: 
PL: Knowing that your pictures and memories are going to be preserved and enjoyed in Project Life, you will naturally improve your photography and writing skills.
Me: Yes, naturally that will happen without any practice or other consideration. Just knowing my memories will be preserved I'll become a better storyteller and better photographer. Right.


PL: Different from traditional scrapbooking, there is no stress about where to place photos, which papers to use, techniques to incorporate, products to coordinate. The work is done. 
Me: If scrapbooking (which is an artistic hobby) is too stressful for you, then maybe you're doing it wrong, or you've missed the point entirely.
*****


I will say, however, that I love this concept for scrapbooking. Making it less about all the crap you buy, and more about the memories you are trying to preserve. You go girl!


And her little journaling notes and divided page protectors are great! Too bad the page protectors are for 12x12 albums...which I don't do anymore. Oh well...maybe one day she'll do up an 8.5x11 set for those of us  who like our albums to actually fit in our bookshelves!! tee hee.


I used to love the Becky Higgins sketches in Creating Keepsakes Magazine! I wonder if she still does those...I haven't picked up a CK in years!


well. that is all. it's sort of a DIY. It's kind of along the lines of my "Make It" Resolution for the year.


I'm noticing that I haven't done a "New Favourite" post in awhile. So I'm going to go back through my other "regular features" that have become kind of irregular, and see if I can't do something to fix that.


later skater alligator

1 comment:

  1. Well I totally enjoyed this post. Both your sense of humour and this idea.

    ReplyDelete

While I don't individually reply to each comment, I want to say "Thanks for commenting!" If you have a specific question about a post, please send me an email!