Friday, December 03, 2010

Does this count as a DIY?

Or just an idea?

I created this fabby sign the other day to "match" my Christmas decor. I'm not finished putting things up, but this is a nice start!

 I applied some pattern papers to a long canvas using gel medium. Then I splotched around some white paint around the background and over the papers. I applied the paint using an old plastic gift card, and used this to create some texture as well. Once that was dry I applied the turquoise paint, stamping it on with bubble wrap.
 Then I watered down red and black paint, and splattered some one. I wrote "merry" using a large, round-tip paint brush. Then "outlined" it with watered-down black paint.
As I finishing touch, I smeared more gel medium along the letters, then sprinkled some silver glitter over top.

And that's pretty much that! It's sparkly and lovely and was simple enough that I could re-do it every year with new colours or a new word.

We're off to WEM this afternoon. It was Lucas' Christmas Calendar treat today, a special date with Mom!

later skater alligator

3 comments:

  1. I love it!!! I might have to try this too Lisa. Your gift card technique works so well...I always have a card or two handy when painting on canvas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your Merry and the colours you're using. Much better than the green and red.

    ReplyDelete

While I don't individually reply to each comment, I want to say "Thanks for commenting!" If you have a specific question about a post, please send me an email!