Friday, January 10, 2020

On Art Night

Snacks.

Good chats.

New connections.

Re-connections.

Snacks.


WHAT IS ART NIGHT ANYWAY?
Art Night - or Art Club as we've been calling it - is not as formal as it sounds! You don't have to know anything about art, or be an artist, or even like art! It's anywhere from 2 -5 people sitting around the dinner table in my home, chatting, eating snacks, and working on some crafty project.

My house is usually not especially cleaned for art night. We're talking dirty dishes in the sink, junk all over the place...y'know, like a lived-in-home looks like for the most part.

I provide a light snack - cheese, homemade baking, chips & salsa, out of season fruit.

My mom is usually there. Sometimes she brings homemade baking. Or kettle corn. Mmmm.

And we CHAT! And connect. And tell stories about our lives in a supportive environment, where the gal sitting beside you has a story of her own that kind of sounds like yours.

And we work on our art or craft project.

Sounds simple, but it is also glorious.




BUT, WHY ART NIGHT?

I started Art Night in the spring of 2019 because I wanted to hang out with my friends at my house. And I needed an excuse to send an invite and get people to come over. Because people don't just come over and hang out at my house anymore...not since I was 15.

I had 5 ladies at my first "Art Journal Night" back in May 2019. And we had a blast. One attendee was so pumped because she finished two art journal layouts of her own design - which in all the years of going to other art journal clubs she had never done before. First night, and Art Night was already exploding all of my expectations!

Art Night - now Art Club - has celebrated so many wins like that.

One Wednesday I hosted my 17th (!!) Art Club. There were 4 other ladies there, and our first teenager! We only talked about memes once.

I've been thinking a lot lately about how I want to grow Art Club. And about what's next for this little fun group who meets around my table every two weeks. I have some ideas, some big ideas, which I am now walking back on. What if Art Club just needs to be this little cozy thing? But what if Art Club can reach more folks and become a bit bigger?

I got really excited when I was thinking about the BIG future for Art Club! So I know it's good and I know I shouldn't doubt my gut. But I also know that right now Art Club is connecting people just the way it is. And that was the whole point all along.



WANT IN?

We meet around my kitchen table every two weeks (give or take) from 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm (give or take). Please email me for the upcoming schedule, and my address. I'm excited to have you join us!

xo
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I don't individually reply to each comment, I want to say "Thanks for commenting!" If you have a specific question about a post, please send me an email!