Saturday, April 04, 2020

First Quarter Books (2020)

First off, let me thank the grocery store workers who keep showing up. This sucks so much, and I am so grateful for you. Thank you for keeping our world moving.

Secondly, I thought I would have read more books last month. All of the libraries in our city closed down in early March, due to concerns about spreading COVID-19. Thankfully, I had just snagged two titles from my local branch. Unfortunately, those were two of the most heavy and depressing books about our world that I have read in some time!

So I am still powering through those two. But I have loads of other books to talk about!

I read 17 books over the past three months and for the most part, they were all good to great. There are some new faves in here, and some that I will be recommending as well.

Do you like fantasy & magic with a dose of kick ass ladies? The Spiritwalker Trilogy is for you.

Do you like fantasy, but with more weird god sexy stuff? Grab yourself the Inheritance Trilogy by NK Jemisin. I finished the 3rd book and it was so unique and glorious.


All of the non-fiction were stellar picks, and you are going to learn something no matter which one you grab. But if you're looking for a wacko con with a millionaire nutso, grab Bad Blood. I read it in one sitting and it blew my fricken mind.


My favourite for the month was definitely Middle Game, an excellent horror from a favourite author. This one was gently creepy, and then grotesque and frightening. Mad scientist, psychic powers, diabolical plot to take over the world + timey-wimey, Very excellent.


I've been trying to keep an eye on my 2020 Book Goals as I've been reading, so I can course correct as I go. It is tougher now that I don't have access to my entire library, but I think I'm doing very good. I'm already halfway to my non-fiction goal, and also doing well with lady authors. I've achieved my poetry goal, but to be fair, it was kind of a sad little goal. I would like to read at least one more book of poetry this year. "Diverse authors" needs some help and so does short stories.

Hey look! I made this handy graphic!


Anyhoo! What's on my TBR list?

  • The Prisoner of the Vampires of Mars by Gustave Lerouge. Originally published in 1806, it is a wacky early science fiction (so much racism!).
  • Boiling Point: Government Neglect, Corporate Abuse, and Canada's Water Crisis by (national treasure) Maude Barlow. This one is making my blood boil.
  • Stupid to the Last Drop: How Alberta is Bringing Environmental Armageddon to Canada (and Doesn't Seem to Care) by William Marsden. Caring about the environment and living in Alberta is a weird ass mood.

FURTHER READING

I get so many great recommendations from the Get Booked podcast. You can ask for personalized recommendations through their website.

Rebecca Schinsky is reading a Mary Oliver poem on her IG stories every day and it is so lovely.

The Overdrive app is what I use to listen to library books, but I will probably upgrade to Libby one of these days.

Audrey's Books and Glass Bookshop are two Edmonton book stores that are still "open" and serving their community. Audrey's has curbside pickup and Glass will deliver! Please support local indies right now

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I don't individually reply to each comment, I want to say "Thanks for commenting!" If you have a specific question about a post, please send me an email!