Monday, March 16, 2020

Bigger To-Do List Than To-Do Time

In my newsletter that went out at the beginning of the month I wrote about having a to-do list that's bigger than my to-do time. And how I was going to spend March trying to make myself more accountable to that list. How I was not going to let it overwhelm me (v important). And how I was going to be purposeful about getting that shit done!

If it's important enough to go on a list, let's make sure it gets done!

All of this is of course written with the understanding that if something is just not working it's absolutely okay to take it right off the list. Your list. Your life.


GO BACK TO THE BIG LIST

For me, this is the time of year where I get a case of the "what is even the point even?!" My blogging dips, and I ask myself "why bother? no one reads it anyway." I question my goals in the same way. So it's an excellent time to remind myself of them. And evaluate to see if they still fit and resonate with my current situation, changed or not. Things change! Life is just that - change is the only constant. So I never write a goal in stone, and I always give myself permission to change it up as needed.

Here is what my "Big List" looked like in January.



I have already filled in the Belonging box, and added a few more items to the rest. Some of the actions on here have already changed, either due to necessity or external forces. And some I changed because they weren't working for me as-is. Now is a good time to re-write as I re-evaluate. Doing so might also help me narrow down some to-dos and schedule the work.



SCHEDULE
I am a Planner Person now. If it's not in here, it doesn't happen. Today I took a few minutes to review my schedule for the rest of the month and see where I could fit some big and little actions in. When you're doing this, it's important to consider your available bandwidth and capacity. I've got Hot Lunch next week, which means the night before is unavailable for anything other than prep work. Art Night is in a couple of days, but maybe I could use that time to make progress on a Goal. I also have an EDFMA shift on Sunday. There's not a lot of social interaction involved, but it's enough that I'll need a nap and some introverting afterwards.

I'm excited about a Polly Barks webinar next week on how to set up a sustainability challenge. The content from the 2 hour session will keep me busy for the week after.

It looks like I am in good shape, and I am feeling confident about my goals too. Once March is in the bag, I will do another deep dive into my Goals, and break some down into further actions. And make sure I take the time to add them to my schedule so I don't start feeling overwhelmed again so quickly. I've got some Accountability Club homework to do as well, to prep for our next meeting in April. It's a good reminder that BIG goals happen because of lots of little steps and check marks along the way.

xo
Lisa

FURTHER READING

To sign up for my email newsletter, click here. I send at least one per month. And usually write about what's going on in my life right now, and hopefully give you some things to ponder on.

Check out more of my Belonging 2020 posts.

Planner is Get to Work Book by Elise Blaha Cripe.

She has a great book about setting goals out right now as well: Big Dreams, Daily Joys

Polly Barks is a sustainability educator

Mug is from Oil & Birch

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I don't individually reply to each comment, I want to say "Thanks for commenting!" If you have a specific question about a post, please send me an email!