Sunday, August 12, 2018

Lisa Reads 52 Books


Well, it's happened again Folks. I finished my reading challenge well ahead (3.5 months ahead to be particular) of my self-imposed "deadline". And what do I have to show for it? Well...I made this bar graph...


Would you look at that! These are the "themes" I see appearing in my reading, year after year. I enjoy story collections, sci-fi fantasy, and series. Even though they aren't my favourite, young adult books keep popping up. 

This year I find myself reading more of what I am going to call "fictionalized history" books. Essentially, these are books that take a historical event or person - Einstein's first wife, the women of the Bible, a young sultan of the Ottoman Empire - and imagine a story around it.

I read a lot of audio books, but the majority of books I read are still actual, hold-in-your-hands books. I would like to read more audio books, and more non-fiction as well.

FAVOURITES
It's getting harder and harder for me to pick favourites. Last year I wrote about reading "too many books" and not being able to remember all of them. That continues to be something I struggle with, but it also feels like this is just my life now!

NK Jemisin is always a good choice, and so is Gail Carriger. Both books I read by those ladies this year were stellar. And actually on my TBR List! Ha!

Some other favourites were (in no particular order):
River of Teeth by Sarah Gailey
Phasma by Delilah S. Dawson
The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins

NEW GOALS
My new goals for the remainder of the year are to seek out more non-fiction books in my wheelhouse. To be honest, I started a lot of non-fiction this year that I couldn't finish. Either they weren't interesting, weren't what I expected, or were just bad. I also went through a month-long period where every book that came up on my Library Holds list was non-fiction and I let a lot of holds slip. Let's see what I can do to fix that!

I still have over 30 books on my TBR list on Goodreads. If you have a Goodreads account, you can find me here. I would like to see how many of those I can polish off before the year is up. I have already started a "2019 TBR List" on there, which feels like putting the cart before the horse, but that's just where I'm at right now!

FURTHER READING
My 2018 Book List is here. I will keep updating it as the year goes on.
My Goodreads account is here. I don't update this one as often, but I do keep track of TBRs there.
More of my 2018 reviews and posts about books can be found here.



No comments:

Post a Comment

While I don't individually reply to each comment, I want to say "Thanks for commenting!" If you have a specific question about a post, please send me an email!