Wednesday, September 06, 2017

From The Vault: Just Don't

I found this post in my Drafts folder, and I thought I would just share it for Pete's sake. I really enjoy writing different pieces like this, but they take a lot of emotional energy. And I continue to struggle between writing from my heart, and writing with purpose and eloquence. It's a work in progress and I love it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This blog post is inspired by Miss Marley Dias. This eleven year old black girl from New Jersey launched a book drive because she was "sick of reading about white boys and dogs".

Her goal is to collect 1000 books with black girls as the protagonists, the main characters.

And gosh if that isn't one of the more awesome things to hit the internet over the past week.

Marley and I don't really have much in common, but I'm also sick of reading about white boys and dogs. And I'm also sick about people not understanding why....or rather, not caring to understand why and not thinking it's such a big deal to read about white boys all the time.

aka Stop complaining! It's not a big deal! It's just a movie! Politically Correctness is Ruining Hollywood/Comics/TV/Politics/Schools/Life! Feminazi!

Just don't.

I'm not excited about yet another white guy superhero movie. There, I said it. I'm talking to you Marvel & DC! You wanna know why? Sounds like Thor 3 is coming out soon, and it features a bunch of the same white guys as were in Iron Mans 1-18 and Avengers 1 through Eleventy Billion, telling the same white guy stories. And don't forget Batman and Superman! They get to add to their lengthy list of prequels and sequels before Wonder Woman even got to be a fricken extra.

I am sick and tired of being expected to be excited about another movie (book, TV show, etc.) with literally the same white guy as the lead.

And don't give me none such bullshit as the tired line that movies with female-leads, or strong female casts don't bring in the big bucks. Ahem, Star Wars? Ahem, Mad Max Fury Road?

I can't even begin to imagine what it feels like being a POC, or LGBTQA+ navigating this same old shit. I am so excited to see POC making so many successful pushes into mainstream media lately (Viola Davis, anything Shonda Rimes & Ava DuVernay touch, Hamilton, Scandal, etc.), especially given the setbacks they continue to face (#OscarsSoWhite).

Diversity and representation matter, especially to the people who don't have ample chances to see themselves reflected in the media that they consume. It's also important for the people who do get to see themselves in the media all the time.

But also, it's kind of getting boring. People are bored with the same old story-lines and re-hashing of the same characters.

A month or so after Star Wars came out, I was talking to my (white cis man) boss, and he was fan-boying over some theory he had heard from a friend. That Han didn't actually die, and managed to escape the destruction of the Starkiller Base (thanks to Captain Phasma no less), just so he can have his reunited-and-it-feels-so-good moment with Luke. Really guys? We can't just pass the torch, we need to have another bro moment?

After he gave me the low down on that, I told him that I really hope they develop the relationship between Poe and Finn into something more romantic. Yes, the two dudes. They already have the perfect "meet cute", and some serious flirting going on. Why couldn't we see a gay relationship portrayed on Star Wars? That's a rhetorical question because I already know the answer....

I love Star Wars, and Star Trek, and I love Batman, and I even love Superman. But we've seen it. I've seen it. I'm done. Show me something new. Some me some ladies! Show me some lady friendships, and queer relationships! Show me some colour! Show me some fat people! Because that's what the world looks like, and we want to see ourselves up on the big screen.

And to all those fan boys out there who think having more female leads, or female super heroes will ruin the franchise, or that nobody wants to see that, or whatever lame ass excuse you've got for me this time, shuttup. Just shuttup.

As a woman, I am fully expected to treat all cis white male protagonists as representative of the human race. I am supposed to be able to put myself in their shoes, and really connect with their story because they are considered the default. Well, that's bullshit if you ask me. And if it goes one way, why not the other? Why don't we expect cis white men to be able to do the same with female characters, or minority characters?

Another rhetorical question friends. Stay with me here.

I got "tone policed" by a close relative when I was talking about my experience with all the "boys toys" out there because he didn't like how I said what I said. This is the same guy who tells me not to get "so excited" when I get excited. Gee, thanks for telling me that my personality trait is grating, thanks for telling me to be "less". Thanks for telling me to "whoa calm down" because you don't think I am responding in an "appropriate" way.

Just don't.

I'm excited about this, I'm just not excited about another cis white guy movie, written by a bunch of dudes, directed by a dude, starring a bunch of the same dudes.

Speaking of Star Wars, I found some posts on Tumblr today that illustrate my point quite well I think.

It's been almost 17 years and I still don't know why Padme Amidala develops a crush on 11 year old Anakin Skywalker when she's been travelling with a young and hot Ewan McGregor.

Response: Dudes wrote it.

_____

Friendly reminder that Leia has just lost her adoptive parents, entire planet, father, husband, son and been abandoned by her brother and yet has never been tempted by the dark side even once. take notes skywalker boys ya'll weak as shit.


xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I don't individually reply to each comment, I want to say "Thanks for commenting!" If you have a specific question about a post, please send me an email!