Friday, June 10, 2016

Big Messy Flowers & Why I Don't Make a Living With Art

I finished painting this last night. I started the flower part months ago, adding on to the ampersand I did up on a whim back when I was still living at my old place. That's how long this has been in the making...


I have a hard time keeping the momentum going when I paint. I start and finish a bunch, and then I get busy at home, or I have an anxiety or depressed period, and nothing gets done. I can't make a living as an artist because I have yet to find a good balance between when I am inspired to do the work, and when I am not inspired but just need to do it anyway.


I could also never make a living at art because so far only my cousins have wanted to purchase my paintings. Family & friends count HUGE when it comes to getting started, but selling solely to people within my limited circle is not sustainable in the long run. And so, here we are. With a $40 painting (a steal of a deal!), 17 likes on IG as of this post (it's pretty & people like it!), I have no takers. Within my little circle or without.

Please don't hear "I give up" in that paragraph. I am not giving up on art, or even an art business. I am being a realist about where I am right now, and where I am working to be in the future. I might not sell a painting to a stranger until I'm in my 80s (ugh, I hope it comes before then), and I'm okay with that. I'm sure my paintings will be much different by then and will perhaps have a wider appeal. I am in this for the long run, even if it is just for myself.





I am really proud of where my art is going these days. I have finally just given in, and accepted that I PAINT BIG MESSY FLOWERS! I've been using neon paint on my recent work, and I love it. And I have been painting beautiful & unique ladies, that are a break from my traditional look, while keeping so many of the same, favourite elements. I'm in a good place, hell, a GREAT place right now, and I am so very satisfied with that.

Now, for reals, does anyone want to buy this painting?
xo

1 comment:

  1. I love your big messy flowers! They look awesome. :D

    ReplyDelete

While I don't individually reply to each comment, I want to say "Thanks for commenting!" If you have a specific question about a post, please send me an email!