Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Living The Dream Life

I took my son and my BFF on a date to a concert in the back of a fancy restaurant on Saturday night.


Jenn Grant is an amazing singer, songwriter, and has a beautiful funny soul. I fell in love with her live performance at Folk Fest last year, and jumped on the chance to see her in person again, even though I had never heard of the venue.

We showed up too early, and got the stink eye from two different waitresses. So we wandered around the candy store next door and came back right when the doors were supposed to open and there was a line up out the door. Sigh. We actually ended up with perfect seats for us, right across from the stage in the corner of a cozy banquet.

The temperature reached approximately eleventy billion degrees in there as the show went on, and we all started rolling up sleeves, and removing all extraneous layers, while simultaneously and silently thanking whoever kept opening the emergency door at the back as the all-too-brief waves of cool air passed over us.

Jenn played a perfect assortment of songs from previous albums, and her current album, and I love them all. But when Bombshell came on, the whole world kind of slowed down for me.

I looked down at my son, all snuggled up in the corner of the banquet in between coats.

I looked across to my BFF, my soulmate, cradling his newly purchased record in his arms. And he looked back at me and smiled at me in that magical way that he does.

And I got a little teary eyed.

I texted this to a friend awhile back, and I didn't realize the honesty and truth behind these words until that moment in the back of a bar:

"I am living my dream life"

It may not seem like much, and it definitely isn't "perfect", and I still have really black days and room for improvement, but there is no doubt in my mind that I am living my best life right now.

It was a beautiful and unexpected moment, and I am so thankful for it.

No matter how shitty I feel next week about whatever stress comes up at work or at home or wherever, I know that I have the capacity to get through it. I know I am on the right track for me.

As we were leaving the venue after the performance we crossed paths with Jenn, and she said "thank you for coming", as I am sure she does for many of her fans after shows.

And if I hadn't been so immediately tongue-tied, with a flood of sweaty people pushing at my back I would have said "No, thank you and your music and your beautiful soul, for allowing me to have a perfect moment with my family."


All the bombshells that never had your back,
Will stand up now just to see me, I'm coming back.
And your mind swells off the fairy tales, but I still look back.
And this fortune here is still playing like an old folk track.

Take me to the bar where a sweet voice in the back of my skull
Says take me to the bar and see if I can fight.
Take me to the bar where a sweet voice in the back of my skull
Says take me to the bar, and then straight to bed all night.

Hold on brother, keep it in your hiding place,
And an old boss says someone that you love may be gay.
A pink bow wrapped around the lock I saved
The silky strands of the blue eyed blonde haired babe.

Take me to the bar where a sweet voice in the back of my skull
Says take me to the bar and see if I can fight.
Take me to the bar where a sweet voice in the back of my skull
Says take me to the bar, and then straight to bed all night.

Oh holy night I have lost my mind.
Oh holy night I don't feel quite right.
Oh holy night I have lost my mind.
Oh holy night I have lost my mind.


1 comment:

While I don't individually reply to each comment, I want to say "Thanks for commenting!" If you have a specific question about a post, please send me an email!