Tuesday, January 08, 2013

A-wandering

let's get away from some goal-setting for a bit, and jump back into the past!

Date: Wednesday, December 5 (2012)
Time: After work
Location: Alberta Legislature, downtown Edmonton
Characters: Me & the commuters

We had dinner reservations at the Creperie for my sister-in-law's birthday. And I didn't want to have to drive all the way home, only to immediately turn around and come back down town. Much better to just wile away the time here after work. After all, it would only be a couple of hours....and I am in the middle of the city, so there should be something for me to do! (wink)

So I headed in the opposite direction of the restaurant, toward the Legislature. It was still light out enough to get some lovely shots of the buildings.

This first one is the Federal building. Up until a couple of years ago it was just sitting empty, but as part of the government's "Economic Action Plan" (or whatever....) they have decided to renovate it and put it to good use again. It is actually a very beautiful art deco building, built in the 50s. They are creating a new - and modern - addition to the other side, with some public courtyard space. I can't wait to see it finished, and maybe get a peek inside. It sits just north/above the "Ledge Grounds".
This is a shot of the other side. It's a massive project, and has been ongoing since the spring. You can see some of the boarded up windows, and how large the site and the building are. Like I mentioned, it sat empty for many many years - since 1989 to be exact - and I can only imagine the state of the interior before they started work on it.

And the sky. The sky was breath-taking that night. It reminded me of the colour palette of many clothing options from the 1990s. Hmmm....and the current Simons collections....hmmmm. Wink!
I'm not sure what purpose the building on the left serves (possibly housing the opposition parties' offices and minor government officials), but it is the best shade of teal ever! And you can see the actual legislature building just behind it and to the right. The work on the dome has been going on for a couple of months, and on really foggy days the white tarp at the top of the scaffolding makes the building just sort of disappear in to the sky.


And this building is just gorgeous. I have absolutely no idea what purpose it serves. It sits along 109 street, somewhat inconspicuously.

And to top it all off, the Bay was having a "One Day Sale" on BOOTS! 50% off!! I was informed by one of my lovely co-workers that the sale was happening, and since it was so super cold out, & I was at the restaurant much earlier than our reservation, and the Bay is right across the street - see how it's all coming together so nicely -  I stopped in to check it out. And I picked up a couple of pairs! Oh dear....

later loves

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:10 pm

    Thanks for the tour! :)

    I need me some 50 per cent off boots, or, you know, a pair from VV! Either will do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

While I don't individually reply to each comment, I want to say "Thanks for commenting!" If you have a specific question about a post, please send me an email!