Tuesday, February 28, 2012

February Book List

Can I just say that the library was my best friend this month? I went there often. Scratch that, regularly and even when I still had books at home, I borrowed a couple more! Those "Hits to Go" are the devil! You have to finish it in one week! ONE WEEK! Inheritance is, like, a thousand fricken pages!! But I did it...my personal life suffered that week, boy howdy!

The Sisters Brothers by Patrick DeWitt (library)
Hybrids by Whitley Strieber (library)
The Best Laid Plans by Terry Fallis (library)
Devastation by Gloria Skruzynski (library)
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (library)
Stephen Leacock by Margaret McMillan (library)
Inheritance by Christopher Paolini (library)
The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (YA + library)
1Q84 by Haruki Murakami




Recommended: I have been reading 1Q84 since the beginning of January. It is a hefty book, and so effing weird. The whole time I was thinking: "what the hell is going on...and am I ever going to find out what the hell is going on...this better be the best damn surprise ending I have ever read because I have no idea where this book is headed". Seriously. And the end? It was weird, to say the least. I'm going to go ahead and compare it with the Lost (tv) series and its final episode.

The Sisters Brothers was another amazing book. I noticed it on a bunch of "must-read 2011" lists, and when I saw it on the Hits To Go shelf at the library, I grabbed it right up. A "western", for lack of a better term, with some science and gun fights and drinking at saloons and all that good stuff. A really neat story, with a great narrative voice.

The Night Circus was another book that I noticed on a lot of "must-read 2011" lists. Such a beautiful book about love and magic and sacrifice. Erin Morgenstern created such beautiful images for her readers. Full of magic, both literally and figuratively, this is one of those books that ignites the imagination. I was so impressed by this book and I would definitely recommend this to anyone (and everyone) who enjoys a great story!

I also loved:
 The Graveyard Book - anything by Neil Gaiman is super fine in my mind
 Inheritance - finally the end of the series! Still reminds me (eerily) of LOTR, and
 Stephen Leacock - I grabbed this biography because of a book my new friend was reading when we were
    in Mexico. Mr Leacock is considered by some to mark the beginnings of Canadian-humor. He was a
    very smart man, and had a lot to say about politics, economics, and life in Canada and abroad. I can't
    wait to read some of his fiction now.

********

I have joined Goodreads and have been busy updating my "read" list and adding to my "must-read" list. You can find me under FormerlyLisaS...if you choose!

Also, if I keep going at this pace I'm going to reach my 52 books in no time! I am finding that this one post per month doesn't allow me to really review the books as much as I would like. I might do multiple posts within a month, to really give you the nitty gritty on those books I really lurved.

How many books are on your "to-read" list for the year?


No comments:

Post a Comment

While I don't individually reply to each comment, I want to say "Thanks for commenting!" If you have a specific question about a post, please send me an email!