Friday, June 17, 2011

New Shoe DIY

I have really been jonesing on shoes lately. Obsessing, really.  So, I thought I would give one of my pairs of brown flip flops a little makeover.
You'll need: Fabric, scissors, needle and thread, a pair of flip flops

Grab some scrap fabric and cut it into three strips, keeping the top connected. I'm using an old shirt that I thrifted when my head was in a crazy place, thinking that I could wear pattern!

Starting at the centre of your shoe, with the connected end of the fabric, start wrapping the fabric around the strap. I didn't really have a plan of attack. I just wrapped and braided until I reached the end.

You can tie of the end here, or keep braiding and create a little strap for your sandal. Like this...

Stitch the centres together at the toe piece. If you make a strap, make sure it is tight against your heel, as it will stretch with use (how much it stretches depends on the fabric you are using).

I actually had a sandal malfunction today with these...the strap on the back broke! I hadn't made it tight enough, and I had to piece together two braids, and it just fell apart. I'm thinking of just cutting my losses and cutting off both straps. I kind of like the idea of having decorated flip flops. I did add a couple of shiny beads to the top, but for whatever reason, I forgot to take a picture after that point!
Try it out! You could make a different pair to match multiple outfits! Scrap fabric works great, because you don't need a lot. And you can find flip flops pretty much anywhere, and for a good price as well! I hadn't even taken the price tags off of these after I bought them last summer. I wear my flip flops all the time, but even the cheapy Old Navy ones seem to last forever.

I'm off camping this weekend with Mom's family. I would rather be at the Comic Expo in Calgary, looking for Commander Riker and Codex...oh well...

2 comments:

  1. That is a CUTE idea Lisa!! Love your nailpolish colour!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is cool-great tutorial too!

    ReplyDelete

While I don't individually reply to each comment, I want to say "Thanks for commenting!" If you have a specific question about a post, please send me an email!