Thursday, March 03, 2011

Self-Publishing...Found? New Favourite??

(please note: I wrote this post back in October 2010, so some of the references may seem out of time and place. But the lurve still applies!)

Zine said zeen. The grammar-police part of my brain hates this, but the cut-and-paste artist up there lurves it.

I was reading about Broken Pencil somewhere the other day, but don't ask me where because I have been reading a lot of Vue Weekly and Macleans lately, but I guess if I had to, I would put money on Vue...now that's what a run-on sentence looks like, and my comma use is sketchy at best!

I also found At Your Leisure through Poppytalk. It's all fashion and homes and graphic design gorgeous stuff. And the current issue is headed to my house as we speak! Eek!

I never got in to the Zine culture back in the day, but I am ever more appreciative of it now that I scrapbook and blog with a fiery passion that burns the hair off my arm. Limited editions. Low budget (maybe not anymore...). Covering any topic imaginable...

I am hoping that once Craft Show-itis wears off (that's the swelling of the Craft Show centre of the brain to the point that you are quite positive that if you have to thread one more needle or untangle one more strand of embroidery floss you will explode) I will be able to dedicate some more time to the non-work crafts that I love! (the craft show was four months ago, so I'm good now!)

I have decided to create my own zine...yep...that's one more thing on my plate. It's a good thing I have a hearty appetite.

If you want to pre-order a copy, site unseen, please send me some postage and I'll deal with the envelope (the standard rate should cover it). You will need to email me to get my address cause there's no fricken way I'm posting it here! Although if you are clever enough, I'm not unlisted. Otherwise, the first edition of Lisa's Zine (yet to be officially named) is free Free FREE!!! Get in on the ground floor, so-to-speak.

I have started working on it, but I'm still not entirely sure of the direction it's taking, so right now it's a "wait-and-see" sort of zine. Lots of doodles, and found items. Lots of "Lisa".

later skater alligator

P.S. People ask me all the time: "how you you do it all?" and tell me: "you have so much energy"...but here is the truth, so get ready for it. I don't clean my house. I don't go to movies. I don't hang out with my friends. I do this stuff, and I play with Lucas and I hang out with my husband, and I hang out at home, and I sleep and eat and shower and do the boring stuff that fills up the little moments of life. This is by no means a perfect existence, and even I haven't found the right balance between fulfilling creative life and clean comfortable house. This is my disclaimer...I should make it into a banner or something, but it's kind of long and not really "slogan-worthy"

later (again) dudes

3 comments:

  1. I want a zine!!! and I want you to make that into a banner!....it is so totally slogan worthy....Lisa you should call me one day wilst at work to chat....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too. Same messy house. Same kid, although now she's grown-up. See, I'm proof that you can keep doing what you're doing for YEARS and be happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i would totally read your zine! go for it. BTW...LOVED the shirt you made the other day. THIS IS A CLASS!!!!

    ReplyDelete

While I don't individually reply to each comment, I want to say "Thanks for commenting!" If you have a specific question about a post, please send me an email!