Monday, January 24, 2011

Food Snacking

I am trying to not only eat healthier meals, but snack on healthier snacks as well. There aren't many times when I hear myself saying: "I sure could go for a bunch of carrots right now", so I needed to come up with something more exciting, filling, and to somehow utilize chocolate.

This actually started as a snack for Lucas to take to school. The kids get to eat snack before/during recess, and when the weather was warm Lucas would get upset that he didn't have enough recess time because he was too busy eating his snack! So I stopped sending a snack. Now the kids get to eat before they go out for recess (if they go out at all), so now I have to start sending one again. Lucas doesn't eat granola bars, and can't open the packaging for a lot of pre-packaged crap anyways. I bought some pretzel packs back in October, but that's just not enough. So I added some raisins and craisins (which he loves) and some chocolate chips (there we go!) and put it all in a container he could open.

And he loved it! He even asked for it again when he got home from school ("Mom can I have some pretzels and don't forget the chocolate chips").

So after I made some more for him, I made some for myself. It hit the spot, it filled me up, and it is sweet and salty, which is the best detail of any snack.

Lucas didn't like the peanuts I added to his, but I put some almonds in mine and it was so wonderful. I'm also going to start buying pretzels in bulk, because they are the best snack food...why didn't I think of this before!?

So here's your "recipe" because I know some people just can't get away with making things up on the fly...ahem*Curtis... Please note that my measurements are exact and should not be deviated from (sarcasm sign)
- handful of pretzels
- handful of Craisins and/or raisins
- handful of chocolate chips
- handful of butterscotch chips
Potential add ons: cereal, almonds, peanuts, crackers, etc.

enjoy
later skater alligator

p.s. all of Lucas' teachers were so jealous of his delicious snack mix, I made them each a bundle as a Christmas present...best Mom ever! And I blogged about it here.

1 comment:

While I don't individually reply to each comment, I want to say "Thanks for commenting!" If you have a specific question about a post, please send me an email!