Friday, June 25, 2010

Friday DIY - with spray paint!

Remember this picture I showed you last week? My work outside projects? Well those red upsdie down buckets on the right are my DIY this week.

I'm going to show you how to make an ugly bucket into a fabulous storage container!

You will need:
- large plastic food containers, like for potato salad or margarine
- two colours of spray paint, one in a nice bright colour and one white
- a stencil or mask of some kind...I used KI Memories lacey paper

Remember when working with spray paint, you need to work in a well-ventilated area. It's nice enough outside to do it now, but make sure it's not a windy day or else you might end up with dirt on your project or spray paint on your clothes!

Step One: Protect your clothes and work surface. I placed my buckets upside down on old plastic plant pots so they would be up off the ground and I could spray all the surfaces.

Step Two: Shake up your can of coloured paint, and spray. Hold the can about 6 inches away from the bucket. Start with a thin coat, because if you add too much it's going to run and glob and stuff. Let it dry before you apply another coat.

Step three: Apply another two coats. I didn't worry about covering all the words and labels on the bucket because the next step camouflages that for the most part.

Step Four: Holding your stencil against the bucket, spray with the white paint. Keep moving the stencil around the bucket and spraying until you have covered every surface. The coverage doesn't have to be perfect, meaning the paint can be lighter in some areas then others. It just adds to the effect!


I love my new buckets! And they are already full of goodies: punches in one and binder rings in the other! Maybe when I hand the other shelf, I'll make some more.

Keep in mind:
Find paint that matches the accent colour in your room.
Remember that you can change it up whenever your tastes change
Try spraying with black first, then a super bright colour!


later skater alligator

p.s am working today, so I might do up another boring work-chat post, but we'll see. I finished a good book the other day: A Boy of Good Breeding by Miram Toews. She also wrote An Uncomplcated Kindness, which I remember enjoying equally well. Check them out, peeps, for a nice summer read! Am eating Farmers Market jam on Farmers Market bread...have I died and gone to heaven? No...remember...I'm at work...

later still

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I don't individually reply to each comment, I want to say "Thanks for commenting!" If you have a specific question about a post, please send me an email!