Monday, April 13, 2015

Book Lady

I was in a wonderful new library a couple of weeks ago.

Now, I am partial to those old, smelly libraries where the stacks reach the (low) roof, and go on forever and ever. Where the silence is a touchable thing, and has a life of its own. And where you could wander for hours and only cover two rows.

But this brand spanking new, shiny, still-with-the-glossy-wrapping intact library was cool too! I wandered a couple of aisles, and touched the spines of books that have never been touched, that have never had their spines cracked, or their pages dog-eared.

And I started thinking about the types of books I read, and how I choose them.

I am one of those people whom you would expect to be in a book club, but am not. I read a lot of books (as evidenced herehere and here), but I never plan out my list ahead of time. And I don't put any rules or guidelines on my reading. I just wander aimlessly through the world, and pick up books that look interesting.

And I don't necessarily think about who deserves my precious book-reading time, which authors I want to support. In my online puttering around, I have been finding many articles about female writers, and how often they get shit on just for being women. (A lot of women in traditionally "male fields" have that problem I think...).

There's that quote about "being the change you want to see in the world". Well, I want to see women succeed where traditionally they haven't, and I want to support and encourage that progress. And I want to learn from women with different backgrounds than myself, so I can be a better listener, and be more compassionate for those difference (and more appreciative).

In that vein, I have decided that I am going to finish out the year reading books by female authors. And I am so FRICKIN EXCITED!!

Any recommendations?

I've got these on my list so far...
Life Drawing and If I Love You I Would Tell You This by Robin Black
That second title sounds so delicious...

Irritable Hearts: A PTSD Love Story by Mac McClelland

Ongoingness by Sarah Manguso
The author laments about her failed attempts at keeping a diary (and her lost memories)

Her 37th Year: An Index by Suzanne Scanlon
I will be 35 this year, and I am kind of freaking out about it. I am hoping for some insights here! HA!

The Unraveling of Mercy Louis
Rape in small town America. I think this one is going to get me all riled up...

Anything by Judy Blume. I think Dude's school library has a bunch.

Unfortunately, this means I will have to put The Book of Negroes away again. But I have a feeling I will find some awesome, amazing, glorious titles and I won't feel so bad.

Further Reading on the Subject
Why Don't Men Read Books by Women?
Why I Only Read Books by Women in 2013
On Learning to Spell Women's Names While Men Buy My New Book For Their Wives
Read Her Like An Open Book

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I don't individually reply to each comment, I want to say "Thanks for commenting!" If you have a specific question about a post, please send me an email!