Friday, January 29, 2016

#lisareads2016 - Life Changing Book


This book changed something in me. It opened something up in my heart and in my mind.

As soon as I finished this book, I went online to a local bookseller's website and bought it.

And I read some reviews and they are a mixed bag to say the least. And I get that. This book isn't for everyone. I read this book and find myself nodding at every page. Does everyone share my world view? Hell no! And what fun would that be anyway?!

Does this book challenge you to step away from your worldview? I think so.

Is this the "perfect book for everyone"? Definitely not.

I have been looking for books that challenge me, and open me up to new experiences, new authors, and POVs that are different than what I am used to. But I have also been searching for a voice that sounds like me. I want to see myself represented in the books I read (and the movies & TV I watch). And for me, right now, this book fulfills that.

And for that I am grateful.

This book is why I shake my head at people who say art, pop culture, books, movies, media, don't matter. That these things don't effect people, or effect change, or allow people to grow and change and become better humans. People who say that these things don't mean anything more than what they provide for entertainment. That is a lie. And if someone is trying to sell you that line, then please look for their ulterior motives (are they a cis white man whose entire life and worldview has been portrayed as the "default" since time immemorial? And they always get to see themselves represented in media and in the world? And they don't want that privilege challenged or questioned? cause that's usually my first thought...that's a whole other blog post)

This book.

People, this book....

I just got an email from Audrey's Books that my order is ready for pick up! As I read through it again, and make all the notes in the margins I need to make, I will be posting more here. RE: my thoughts, feelings, perspectives, and if they change on further reading.

What book changed your life?
Feels good doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I don't individually reply to each comment, I want to say "Thanks for commenting!" If you have a specific question about a post, please send me an email!