Thursday, July 03, 2014

Another Asparagus Recipe Because I JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH!!

More asparagus! ALL THE ASPARAGUS!


This time with MEAT AND CHEESE! I can't even...


My recipe was slightly modified from this one. The "slightly modified" part is kind of standard with Lisa Recipes. Sigh...I just can't keep things simple can I?!

Ingredients
- Phyllo dough. I used 4 sheets of dough. The second time I made this I cut smaller squares and it worked much better!

- Prosciutto. As many slices as you need servings. I got mine cut fresh at the deli, then cut each piece in half when I got home.

- Mozzarella. I buy the gooey-est stuff I can find. Can't remember the brand right now...

- Goat's cheese (or feta, depending on your budget)

- Melted butter. Lots of butter. I use unsalted.


Directions
Pre-prep-step: Thaw your phyllo dough (that's kind of a "duh" step).

1. Preheat your oven to 375F.

2. Follow the instructions on the box of phyllo dough for separating and getting the butter on. I didn't do this the first time, and it was a giant pain in my arse. Second time was much smoother! Essentially, pretend your phyllo is a book that is folded in half. Open the first page and paint it with butter. Now flip to the back and paint it with butter. Now flip to page three...and repeat...

3. Repeat the above step for all your layers. I finished with butter, because butter.

4. Cut into squares or smallish rectangles. Use your best judgement on this. The recipe I read and the reality of my phyllo on the first attempt did not mesh, so I had to improvise.

5. Lay one piece of prosciutto in the centre of the square, followed by a small slice of mozza, a generous smear of goat cheese and the asparagus. I used three small sticks of asparagus, but you can adjust the serving size according to your needs. Wants. Desires.

6. Roll 'em up!

7. Place them on a parchment lined baking sheet and brush with more butter. More butter.

8. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden. I finished them off with a quick broil. Wasn't entirely quick enough.

Let them cool a bit before eating to avoid scalding your tongue on the hot, gooey, mmmmmmm cheesey cheese. Mmmmmmmmmmm....ooh baby...

This one is going into the rotation, that's for damn sure.
Lisa

1 comment:

  1. I love that it's called phyllo pastry here! WE call it filo pastry in the UK! They look delicious by the way!

    ReplyDelete

While I don't individually reply to each comment, I want to say "Thanks for commenting!" If you have a specific question about a post, please send me an email!