Thursday, April 03, 2014

First Quarter Book Review

Yep, that title. That's totally a thing. Now. Cause I made it one.

Shuttup.

Should I start with the MEHs and work my way up to the HELL YAs? Sure, sounds like as good a plan as any.

Meh
For all the hype that some books get, I just don't get it. Perhaps I am not meant to read heady books about pretentious teenagers. Or college students. Or coming of age blah blah blah. No thanks. Not for me.

In the "not for me" section this quarter:
The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer
The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides

Middling
Chris Hadfield is an awesome guy! But he's not a writer. And based on pretty much everything else I have ever read of Stephen King's, Roadwork cannot compare. But it didn't totally make me want to poke my eyes out, so there's that!

Okay, let me start this little paragraph by saying I really love PKD's books. A lot. Anything I have ever read of his, I have enjoyed immensely until now. All I can say about Eye in the Sky is "what the deuce?!" And also, "it was fine".

Hell Ya!
Neil Gaiman is some sort of crafty genius. You're reading along, everything is perfectly normal, and BAM! Psychic powers! Alternate dimensions! Otherworldly creatures! And also the story is fricken awesome! And normal. And yet also Dream Worlds! And Evil Beings! And Magic! Oh yes...loads of magic.

He wins the list every time.

later loves

1 comment:

While I don't individually reply to each comment, I want to say "Thanks for commenting!" If you have a specific question about a post, please send me an email!