Friday, November 15, 2013

Tell A Story - I Have No Idea What I'm Doing


Dude was being so well-behaved last night. Like, ridiculously well-behaved. He asked to be excused from the table! He continually asked nicely for things, and remembered that he wasn't allowed to have dessert and then didn't even ask (or beg or plead) for it!!

He wanted to build something out of his Hero Factory Lego, and he was looking for ideas from me. So I suggested he build a bird. And with every step and addition, he asked me if it still looked like a bird. It had a Batman face and lots of arms, or wings, or whatever, but it was lovely!

And then he wanted another suggestion. The past couple of mornings he has been talking about his (apparent) love of Bakugan. So that was my next recommendation. And I got to build my own!

Not that I have any idea what is involved in building a Bakugan or anything...but I gave it my best effort!

And Lucas put on a recorded episode of Bakugan to give us some inspiration. His was magnificent, as you can see. Mine was a little bit short. And lacking finesse. But I gave it my all.

I have discovered that a lot of parenting is just giving it your best effort. Even when you have no idea what you're doing. Even if you feel lost, and frustrated, and way out of your depth! Your kid won't notice all of that...all they want is your attention and your love.

And I know how to do that.

later loves

1 comment:

  1. Ha! I watched an episode of Portlandia last night that opened with Fred & Carrie reading and trying all of these different techniques on how to raise your baby (the French way, with tons of eye contact, no eye contact, etc.) and it ended with "Parents: just trust your instincts. These books are shit."

    ... It was a lot funnier than I'm making it sound.

    At any rate, I think you're doing a fabulous job. Each time I see pictures of or hear stories about you and Dude, it's very obviously a happy and loving relationship. You're doing your best, it shows, and whatever you're doing, it's working - keep doing it. :)

    ReplyDelete

While I don't individually reply to each comment, I want to say "Thanks for commenting!" If you have a specific question about a post, please send me an email!