Friday, October 15, 2010

Friday DIY

This week I am going to show you how to take a boring old cardigan, and give it some "fabulous".

Supplies:
- one old sweater
- ribbon to match old sweater (enough to wrap around your arm once, and then tie and bow)
- dressmaker pins
- sewing machine (or you can hand stitch this)
Optional: a piece of coordinating fabric to make a pocket

Step One: Put on your sweater and mark (with chalk) where you want your "new" sleeves to end. Do this on both arms, as best you can.

Step Two: Remove your sweater, lay it flat on a flat surface, and cut at your mark.

Step Three: Fold over one end of your ribbon, and starting from the inside seam of your sweater pin it along the cut edge. Stop once you reach the outer seam.

Step Four: Leave about 6 inches of ribbon, then cut it off. (You can omit this step if you don't want to tie a bow with your ribbon)

Step Five: Now do step three on the other side of the sleeve.

Step Six: Sew the ribbon on.

Step Seven: Repeat all of these steps on the other sleeve.

Step Eight: Tie a bow on each sleeve, if you left the extra ribbon. I'm not sure how keen I am on it, so I might just cut the lose ends off and sew them up.

Optional: Making a pocket. My pocket looks like a drunk person sewed it on, so maybe you should just google how to make a nice pocket. I was getting too excited, so I just went with it. But next time I would definitely take more time in getting the shape just right. If you don't want to mess around with getting the curve just right, make it a square or triangular pocket.

Wear it, and take all the compliments and envious glares that you can get!
It still needs something, but it will do for now. Too bad it's so black.

later skater alligator

1 comment:

  1. How very fabulous! I love the bows on the sleeves!

    ReplyDelete

While I don't individually reply to each comment, I want to say "Thanks for commenting!" If you have a specific question about a post, please send me an email!