Sunday, December 29, 2019

Celebrating One Year of Sobriety


I celebrated one year of "sobriety" yesterday with coffee and brunch at my favourite bar with my favourite Babe.

I can't believe I did it! And I can't believe it was so easy for me. I had somehow tied a big chunk of my identity to drinking, and by losing that, by giving it up, I thought I would lose me. And I thought that part of me would fight to the death to stick around. Turns out that making this good choice for myself was simple, so the follow through became second nature.

This was an experiment, and to be honest, I thought I would "fail". I have learned a bit about discipline and "willpower" over the past year, and I now know that willpower is pretty much a lie. Making changes to your life is about so much more than trusting yourself to say NO over and over again.

I don't have any words of wisdom for other folks embarking on this path. I do not identify as an alcoholic, and I don't even like to use the word "sober" to describe what I'm doing and how I'm living. But I do know that if you're thinking about giving up drinking or cutting back, it's a fabulous idea and I will be your biggest cheerleader and supporter!

I did this for me, I learned a lot about myself, and ultimately I've decided to keep on this path.

Consider me a permanent member of the Fancy Soda Club.

xo Lis

FURTHER READING
My Year (At Least) of Sobriety


P.S. I've got a newsletter scheduled to go out on January 1! If you want to receive a copy for yourself, click here to subscribe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I don't individually reply to each comment, I want to say "Thanks for commenting!" If you have a specific question about a post, please send me an email!